We at Kareo were pleased to be invited to participate in a phone conference with the American Medical Billing Association (AMBA) yesterday on ICD-10 and its implementation. We were the only software vendor represented, and found that many members had a lot of questions on ICD-10 and when they would be able to test.
Like many of you, Kareo is in the process of planning our strategies for addressing this change, and we’ll get back to you and the AMBA members in future on how we’ll be handling it. However, in the meantime we found some information from the CMS that we wanted to share with you. CMS is holding telecons on a regular basis to provide information on the new requirements. According to the CMS site, “Subject matter experts will review basic information on both ICD-10 and 5010 and explain how they are interrelated. A question and answer session will follow the presentations.”
If you are looking for more information on ICD-10, you may want to consider participating in one of these calls. The next one is on September 13, 2010; you can find more information at https://www.cms.gov/ICD10/02c_CMS_Sponsored_Calls.asp and register at http://www.eventsvc.com/palmettogba/091310 Please note that registration will close at 12:00 p.m. ET on September 10, 2010, or when available space has been filled.
For your convenience, here is the agenda from the CMS site:
ICD-10 Implementation in a 5010 Environment
Follow-Up National Provider Call
When: Monday, September 13, 2010
Time: 12:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. ET
Target Audience: Medical coders, physician office staff, provider billing staff, health records staff, vendors, educators, system maintainers and all Medicare fee-for-service (FFS) providers
• ICD-10 implementation for services provided on and after October 1, 2013
• Differences between ICD-10 and ICD-9-CM codes
• ICD-10-CM basic information for all users
• Tools for converting codes – General Equivalence Mappings (GEMs)
• Proposal to freeze ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 code updates except for new technologies and diseases
HIPAA Version 5010
• Compliance dates and timelines (No contingencies)
• 5010 before and after ICD-10 Implementation
• Readiness review for implementing HIPAA version 5010 and D.0
• What you need to be doing to prepare
• Medicare fee-for-service activities update
• Other issues and considerations
Conference Call Registration Information:
Date: September 13, 2010
Conference Title: ICD-10 Implementation in a 5010 Environment Follow-Up National Provider Call
Time: 12:00 p.m. ET
In order to receive the call-in information, you must register for the call. It is important to note that if you are planning to sit in with a group, only one person needs to register to receive the call-in data. This registration is solely to reserve a phone line, NOT to allow participation.
Registration will close at 12:00 p.m. ET on September 10, 2010, or when available space has been filled. No exceptions will be made, so please be sure to register early, prior to this time.
1. To register for the call participants need to go to: http://www.eventsvc.com/palmettogba/091310
2. Fill in all required data.
3. Verify that your time zone is displayed correctly in the drop down box.
4. Click “Register.”
5. You will be taken to the “Thank you for registering” page and will receive a confirmation email shortly thereafter.