Our goal here at Kareo is to make medical billing as easy as possible. For us, that starts with the structure of Kareo. In this post we’ll walk through the major features of the Kareo program, following the format of the instructional video, Getting Started, by Mel Aclaro. For complete information, see your product documentation in our Help Center.
Let’s start by looking at the basics: the dashboard, the working environment, data entry and finding records.
The dashboard includes two sections: Navigation and Practice Home.
Within the Navigation section you’ll find Shortcuts and Open Windows. Clicking on a shortcut will take you directly to any one of the nine areas listed. Open Windows displays windows that are currently open, such as Practice Home, Encounters, etc. Clicking open windows items will make them appear in the main work area, and using the escape key will close them.
Labeled Practice Home, this area consists of four panes, including Workflow, To Do List, Payment Velocity/AR Aging and Key Performance Indicators.
- Workflow is a diagram of icons representing the workflow for your particular occupation.
- To Do List displays incomplete tasks and activities. Blue text indicates hyperlinks that will display more information.
- Payment Velocity/AR Aging shows the time it is taking to be paid. Clicking the AR/Aging Snapshot radio button displays income collected for key periods of accounting activity.
- Key Performance Indicators monitor snapshots of financial and operational health metrics of the practice.
Navigation and Searching Features
There are a number of ways to get around within the Kareo program:
- Main Menu Bar displays labels that, when clicked, display submenus.
- Tool Bar is a set of icons representing commonly used functions. These items are a subset of main menu bar items.
- As noted above, Navigation includes Shortcuts and Open Windows you can use to move around in the program.
To search for data in a list view (Patients, Encounters, etc.) use the Look For and Search In fields. Enter a term to search in the Look For field, and in the Search In dropdown, select the name of the column under which you wish to search. Clicking Find Now will display all instances of your search term. Additional features include:
- Tabs across the top of the data viewer represent either data filters or additional sections of information. As data filters, you limit your search to areas defined by the tab. Within a specific record, the tabs act as sections, providing additional detail for the record.
- Page Indicators – Kareo shows only a few tens of records at a time. Watch the “Showing” number at the bottom left of list windows for total records showing, and total records found (showing 1-50 of 2,007). Note the page indicator shown at the bottom right. You may be viewing a page of 50 records, but there may be 41 total pages to view.
- Task Buttons – This set of buttons along the bottom of the page (New, Open, Delete) changes according to the window you are viewing.
By entering data accurately, you can reduce claims rejections and maintain more consistent records. Follow these tips for better data entry:
- Use upper and lowercase letters for proper nouns. Acronyms, such as AMA, should be entered in all caps, without periods.
- Don’t use colons. Some claim submission systems have problems with this punctuation.
- In the full name field, enter first name, middle initial and last name.
- Use the tab key to move from one field to the next.
- Use consistent abbreviations such as Ave., St., Pl., etc.
- For dates and SSNs, use numbers only, such as 082975 (date) or 122121221 (SSN). Kareo will insert punctuation.
To find a record, identify the information you need, such as “find patient,” “find document,” etc. Use one of the menus or shortcuts to select the feature, and enter data as described above under Navigation and Searching Features. Try experimenting, using different selections in the Search In dropdown. Your results will change depending upon which areas you choose to search.
As you get to know the Kareo program you’ll find that your work becomes more and more efficient. Visit the Help Center on our website for downloads, guides, training, and more. To see a live demo of the Kareo system, join us for a demo webinar on Thursday, March 29. Register now.