We need you to judge our monthly Medical Billing Tip of the Month contest! Listed below are the three top tips submitted this month (out of the many great ideas we received!). Just read them over and then post on our Facebook page which number is your choice for Medical Billing Tip of the Month. You can also post your choice in the Comments box here on our blog. Either way, be sure to vote before the deadline on Thursday, October 4th! The winner will receive a $250 American Express Gift Card and the acclaim of their peers. Here are the candidates:
1. How to increase Provider payment flow using KEY INDICATOR SUMMARY effectively.
Reports – > Key indicator -> Key indicator Summary – Fill date (01/01/12) to (08/31/2012). – Just click the REFRESH to run the report
- The generated reports shows the total encounter, charges, Adjustments, Receipts & other from Jan 2012 – Aug 2012.
- Just click, the charge total and you will see the list of CPT performed by the provider from Jan 2012 – Aug 2012 with the total billed amt.(Refer the below screen shot).
- Here is the drill down of the charges.
- Go to Customize tab and select the “Measure type” as UNIT COUNT and generate the report.
- Now the reports shows, the total count of each CPT performed by the provider from Jan 2012 – Aug 2012.
- Generate the report into excel format such as “CPT, Total CPT count and add another column as “Medicare Allowable”.
- Then update the Medicare allowable for each code by checking the Medicare fee schedule or Use V-look up formula.
- Sort the Medicare allowable value from Descending order.
- Once the Medicare allowable is updated in the list and again sort the report for the CPT in descending order.
- By sorting it, you can find the provider most performing codes as well as highly paid Medicare allowable codes.
- Now check the Top 25 CPT which has high Medicare allowable in the list.
- If the Highly paid Medicare allowable (CPT count performed by Provider) is less, Escalate / submit the report to the Provider to perform those CPT’s constantly.
- The report will helps the provider to perform more CPT which has high reimbursement.
- The Cash flow of the provider will gradually increase month over month by using this report effectively.
This Kareo report is very useful for the Provider to compare his CPT performance month over month as well to increase the cash flow. The report will be very effective for the specialty based Provider.
2. Integration of Claims from Practice Fusion to Kareo
Set up Insurance Companies and plans in Practice Fusion exactly the same way you set it up in Kareo. In other words, you copy the insurance companies and plans from Kareo to the List of Payers in Practice Fusion by naming them exactly how you named them in Kareo. In this way when you send your bills to Kareo, the insurance plan will merge with the Insurance Plan in Kareo, without creating a new one.
3. Check Codes
If we are entering more than one CPT codes we need to click “Check codes” option in Kareo.
While entering 92980 and 92982 in Kareo then we need to check ” Check code”
Example – 2:
While entering 98941 and 98940 in Kareo then we need to check ” Check code”
In this case we do not enter this combination. Need to check with coding team and enter the correct CPT code as per coding guideline. This system practice will avoid coding denials .Also the correct procedure code will get paid.
Last but not least, When We are entering multiple CPT codes, we use this option to confirm that we billed correctly.
I hope this Tip will reduce the denials in your practices. We will get reimbursement in the first time CPT code submissions.
Which tip is your top choice? Vote now on our Facebook page or in the Comments box on this blog. You have until Thursday,October 4th, to vote! We’ll announce the winner in our October newsletter.